India is a developing country with an annual growth rate of more than 10% in the construction and infrastructure sector. And you should consider yourself lucky if you are a master in civil engineering as this increasing growth rate is creating a number of job opportunities and will create even more in the near future. Construction is the backbone of development in any country, and no country can attain it without civil engineering industry. Salary for civil engineers in India has been increased notably as the demand is extending for past couple of years. Now wasting no more time, let’s discuss about the jobs after M.E. in Civil Engineering.
A civil engineer job is engaged in various activities beginning from choosing the land to the ultimate construction. Some of the common ones are:
- Analyzing various factors & locations for designing and construction purposes.
- Develop a detailed design layout undertaking the challenges & risk and security.
- Analyze & examine different strategies, and reviewing project reports and designs.
- Monitor and communicate effectively with other subcontractors & architects.
- Think creatively to resolve different issues.
- And finally, the civil engineer must ensure that the project is completed on time.
A civil engineer possessing a masters degree is able to get jobs within the public as well as the private sectors. Self employment can be another option after M.E./M. Tech in civil engineering. They can work with:
- Preparation of civil drawings
- Public Health
- Rain water harvesting system
Private Sector Jobs
There are some private sector companies that recruit masters in civil engineering. The post graduate degree holders will be able to get jobs into managerial level profiles. And some experience will always prove to be a plus to the qualification. Some of the famous private sector companies that recruit M.E. Civil Engineering pass-outs are Jaypee, Larson & Turbio and IVRCL.
Following are some of the major industries where candidates can get handsome salaries:
- Oil & Gas
- Power & Energy
- Hotel & Hospitality
- Construction Companies
Some of the major designations for the candidates are:
- Civil Engineer
- Construction Project Engineer
- Planning Engineer
- Senior Engineer
- Site Engineer
Government Sector Jobs
Candidates who wish to work with government/public sector will need to appear in examinations of UPSC & Public Service Commission to take part in the recruitment at central and state level.
Following are some of the major public sector companies that take in pass-outs of M.E in Civil Engineering:
- Indian Railways
- Public Sector Undertaking (PSU)
- Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL)
- National Thermal Power Corporation
- Cement Corporation of India
- India Defense Services
- National Highway Authorities of India
- Hindustan Paper Corporation Limited
Choosing between private & public sector is always confusing for the candidates. But many people give an extra edge to private sector over the government sector because of higher salaries in private sector. But still the choice merely depends on you and your goals analyzing your comfort level & family responsibilities. Hope this post will help you selecting the right sort of industry after your M.E. in Civil Engineering. Good Luck!